Northside Baptist Church was formerly organized in March of 1927. The names of 88 charter members were recorded. The first item of business was to call Dr. Edward T. Poulson as pastor. The first offering, totalling $18.36, was designated to missions.
After meeting for several years in a hotel, they purchased property at 5th Avenue North and 5th Street North. The move was in 1933, but the building wasn't totally completed until 1937. As the church continued to grow, they had nowhere to expand. In 1956, they voted to purchase five acres of "ranch land" on 38th Avenue. The property on 5th Avenue was sold to the owners of the Coliseum. The congregation moved into their new building on 38th Avenue in 1957. This is the current West Hall.
In 1960, Rev. Kenneth Moon became the senior pastor, and by 1963 a much needed sanctuary was erected that would seat 900 people. This is our current East Hall. The new 100-foot steeple was a beacon that could be seen for several miles. Because of the growth of the congregation, a groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1965 to build a much-needed two-story educational building. Many remember the Annual Missions Conferences and the Living Christmas Tree productions during these years of ministry.
The church began to bulge at the seams and in 1971 a groundbreaking was planned for a 1600 seat sanctuary. This same year, a decision was made to start a Christian Day School. In the fall of that year, Northside Christian School opened with 291 students.
As we reflect over 80 years of ministry, we can only be reminded of God's plan, protection, and provision. God has been at work in our midst and lives have been forever changed both locally and around the world through the ministries of Northside Baptist Church. We thank God for our rich heritage.
“The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ."
— I Corinthians 12:12